Friday, August 9, 2013

Completely Irrational Decisions

For the longest time I've wanted a Disney annual pass. The idea of being able to waltz in and out of the park without trying to "get your money's worth," is pretty appealing. At $86 a pop for a day at the Magic Kingdom and an hour in line for each of the good rides, you end up packing your day from morning to night. Which is what most people do, making the exodus after the fireworks at midnight look more like a scene from Night of the Living Dead than anything else.
You can almost see Cinderella Castle behind this crowd. All this pictures needs is some strollers and mouse balloons.

But Disney is clever about their pricing. Their annual passport costs just a little more than a two trips on a typical multi-day pass. Their premier passport, providing access to both Anaheim and Orlando locations, won't let you break even until you've taken four trips in a year. Which, by the way, is $979 + tax. Over a thousand dollars. An entire four digits worth of Disney. I live nowhere within driving distance of a Disney. Am I really going to fly four times so I can make use of that pass?

And yet, if I'm ever going to experience that magical feeling like I belong to that exclusive annual passholders club, it should be this year. My year of Disney! Watching and observing Disney people do Disney things! Surely I need keys to the Kingdom to take this on, right?

(I don't really. I calculated it out. It's actually cheaper to buy a a multi-day pass to each park once. But after seeing the numbers I realized that it wasn't why I wanted the passport. And I think Disney knows that. It's not about being practical, it's about being part of something and that feeling of being part of Disney - like a member.)

TWO castles! Six parks and two water parks! If I were a kid I'd be throwing a tantrum for this right now.
So here I am stuck in indecision. I am leaving for Disneyland in six days, so I better have decided by then because if I'm going to buy a pass now is the time.

By the way, I'm also mad at them, because they don't sell a Disney global pass, and what kind of business misses the chance to wave such an aspirational WANT in front of their rabid fans? There always should be a completely unreasonable top-end item that keeps their customer base aspiring.

So your honest opinion - would it be completely irrational DINKy spoiled brat of me to get a premier passport?

No comments:

Post a Comment