Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Costume time in Anaheim.

I had the chance to drop by Disney for a few hours last night and check out the Halloween costume action. For those of you who don't check the Disney web site every week (that would be all of you I'm guessing), Disney throws a giant Halloween party a couple times a week throughout the month of October with dancing and trick-or-treating and almost zero lines in the rides. When I read the Yelp reviews, people say it's abso-freaking-lutely amazing, since they give away so much candy - like, FIVE POUNDS of chocolate in a single night!

It's got to be the most expensive chocolate ever, since even the cheapest party ticket is more than $50, so about $10 per pound of Kit Kats seems a bit steep.

Getting in to see the costumes was pretty cool. I was expecting lots of Disney princesses and villains, but I underestimated the complete free-for-all that is the American Halloween tradition. There were ninja turtles, minions, Batman, and a troupe of about 30 Waldo's on a scavenger hunt. At least three good Hermione Grangers in Hogwarts robes were running around the park.


At the gate I found the entire cast of Peter Pan, including lost Boys, Indians, Michael, Wendy, even a mermaid. By the way, she can walk around in that. Her legs are in the rock, not in the flippers.

This group was one of my favorites: Super Princesses. They were getting stopped for photos all over the park, including by a group of teenage boys dressed as football players. These princesses don't need saving: they have ass-kicking boots.




Both the Peter Pan and the Super Princess group had hand-made their costumes. Some of the best costumes were hand made and one of a kind.


Not to be outdone, Tigger got into the superhero action. You know the only thing better than a Tigger? A Super Tigger. With a corpse bride.




 This was the most detailed costume set, down to the last details and the skin paint.



I think my favorite would have to be Maleficent though. I always loved her. I did finally find a really awesome Maleficent. This very nice lady had been ambushed by her grandchildren, who insisted she must be a villain at the party and brought her to the park. This photo doesn't do the glowing lights of fire behind her, but her costume is velvet, hand-stitched, with fabulous folds and SEQUINS. She was spectacular.


I wish I had more time to share photos but my flight is boarding to Tokyo, so I'll post more later. Hoping for a few hours once there to check out and compare Japanese Halloween costumes. I can imagine these beautiful hand-made deals, but I do have a hard time imagining a Super Tigger in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment