Thursday, October 17, 2013

In Japan: The Joy of Belonging

I can't believe it's almost been three weeks since my last post! It's not for the lack of things to write about, really! Things have just been a little busy. But I did manage to make it into the Tokyo parks during my two-week stay in Japan. In all, I managed an 8-hour day at Disney and two six-hour days, and brought home plenty of photos and stories to share.

One of the things I really love about Japanese culture is that they don't have that rigid adherence to individuality and uniqueness that Americans do. I remember someone telling me in high school (in Southern California) that if they ever showed up at a party and saw someone else wearing the same dress, they would turn around and go home. Because, you know, a girl needs to be unique.

In Japan it seems to almost be the opposite. Fitting in and finding comfort in similarities seem to be the norm, and they seem so happy at it. Going to Disney was something that groups of girls did - teens and 20's seemed to be most common - and they did it in style. Together. In identical ears and shirts and sometimes even socks and shoes.





So much of these visitor's enjoyment seemed to come from being girly together and being dressed up. I was truly jealous of the kind of goofy dress-up fun they were having together. This led to a rather unwise decision to purchase a Tigger outfit. But alas, I was a Tigger of one.

Minnie seemed to be the most popular, but Alice is also doing well Or, at least I think these were Alices. I don't seem to remember the cartoon version wearing such revealing skirts.


And, unless you think the dressing up is completely in the realm of grown-ups, there were adorable matching children as well. In particular, this group of Huey, Dewey, and Louie were running around the park. I looked for the outfits in the many shops, thinking I'd buy one (for whom??? I don't even have kids! but it was so cute...) I think this was from a previous season of kids' clothing though. 


I sat behind these two Alices for most of an hour as we waited for the Halloween parade to start. Boy are Japanese kids patient. They entertained themselves and danced around in their dresses the whole time.


Which reminds me. I need to write about how many Alices there are in Tokyo, and how few princesses. Compare that to the Princess Parade that was Disney Orlando. There must be something kind of reasoning behind about how different cultures choose different characters to idolize. I'm not sure the Japanese believe in princesses, or at least the Disney version of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment